Worship services as well as christenings, baptism, weddings, funeral services are held in the cathedral by the Liepāja Holy Trinity cathedral’s congregation of The Evangelical Lutheran Church of Latvia and by Liepāja’s congregation of The German Evangelical Lutheran Church in Latvia.
Worship services in Latvian:
Thursdays 6:00 pm
Sundays 10:00 am
Worship services in German are held on a monthly basis and are conducted by Markus Schoch – pastor of The German Evangelical Lutheran Church in Latvia (Deutsche Evangelisch Luterische Kirche in Lettland) (Phone: + 371 2951 9517).
More info: www.kirche.lv
Liepāja Holy Trinity Cathedral was built from 1742 to 1758. The church was solemnly consecrated on December 5, 1758.
The builders of the church were the congregation of the Liepāja German Evangelic Lutheran Church. The German congregation was active here till the beginning of the Second World War. In 1939 a majority of the German population repatriated to Germany.
The Latvian congregation was founded after World War II and since then they are uncovering the joy and celebration in worship services held in Liepāja Holy Trinity Cathedral as well as takes care of the church’s conservation. The Soviet occupation was a difficult time for the Latvian congregation – it was a time of a severe restriction and repression.
Since Latvia regained its independence, the congregation is gradually flourishing. More and more people are joining the congregation, inspiring others to walk in faith and bringing diversity in to the church.
Pēteris Kalks has been serving for the congregation since 2000.
The church received its status of a cathedral in 2007 and Pēteris Kalks besides being the Priest of the Latvian congregation is also Dean of the cathedral. Since 2007 Liepāja Holy Trinity Cathedral has been serving as the residence of Liepāja Bishop (from 2016 Hanss Martins Jensons) who is in charge of the congregations in Kurzeme and Zemgale.